This month marks the fortieth anniversary of Giant-Size X-Men, which was released in May of 1975. The landmark issue helped revitalize the then-failing X-Men franchise. In the issue, original X-Men members Marvel Girl, Angel, and Iceman as well as recruits Havok and Polaris had disappeared on the island of Krakoa with only Cyclops escaping. To help save the team, Professor X recruits a new group of X-Men under the leadership of Cyclops. He brought on Sunfire, Banshee, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Thunderbird. This issue marked the moment that established Wolverine as a mutant, previously simply being a Canadian agent of Department H sent to fight Hulk. It was also the first appearances of Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, and T…Read more >
Today is Mother's Day, honoring one's own mother, as well as motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society. There have, of course, been many mothers in the Marvel Universe, though not all of them have been seen in animation.
- Mary Parker and Madeline Watson both appeared in flashbacks on Spider-Man, while the show's fifth season dealt with Peter clearing the names of both parents. And there's always his relationship with his adopted mother, his Aunt May.
- Felicia Hardy's mother Anastasia was a recurring character on Spider-Man.
- Several episodes of X-Men dealt with Mystique and her relationships to her biological children Nightcrawler and Graydon Creed Jr. as well as adopted daughter Rogue.
- Julia Carpenter's daughter Rachel was …
Today is the seventieth anniversary of Victory in Europe Day. It is the day that representatives from the United States of America, United Kingdom, France, Soviet Union, France, and Germany agreed to the unconditional surrender of Nazi forces to the Allied powers. This meant the official end of World War II in Europe though the battle in the Pacific would still rage on against Japan.Read more >
Today is the seventy-fifth birthday for actor Lance Henriksen. He is a beloved actor known for appearances in many popular franchises including The Terminator, Aliens, Pumpkinhead, and Mass Effect. Henriksen is known for Marvel fans as the voice of Grim Reaper in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.Read more >
Another month has come and another has gone. The April poll results are in. We asked how you choose to view an episode for the first time.
- It was a three-way tie with 27.3%. People choose to view episodes equally between when it first airs on television, watching through a streaming subscription service, and downloading illegally through file sharing.
- In second place with 18.2% was watching a rerun on telelvision.
- Apparently no one bothers to buy or rent it on DVD or purchase it through an online downloadable source.
Check out this month's poll to vote for which alternate universe you would like to see a series or feature set entirely in: 1602, 2099, Earth X, House of M, MC2, Noir, or Zombies.Read more >